Cauliflower and Bacon Pasta Bake
Cauliflower and macaroni cheese in one pasta bake? This family-friendly gratin is comforting and filling!
- 200g streaky bacon
- 300g dried pasta
- 1 cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 140g cheddar, grated
- 1 soft wholemeal roll, whizzed to breadcrumbs
- Salad, to serve
- Heat the grill to high and bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Grill the bacon slices for 5 mins or until crispy, then drain on kitchen paper and cut into small pieces.
- Cook the pasta following pack instructions. Add the cauliflower to the pasta pan for the final 8 mins, so that it is just tender, then drain, reserving 2 tbsp of the cooking water.
- Melt the butter in a small pan over a low heat, then stir in the flour and cook for a couple of mins. Gradually stir in the milk, mixing well between each addition. Bring to a simmer, then cook for a few mins until thickened. Season, add the mustard and half the grated cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Tip the pasta and cauliflower back into the pan along with the reserved cooking water. Stir through the cheese sauce and bacon, then transfer the mix to a baking dish. Mix together the breadcrumbs and remaining cheese, then sprinkle over the pasta. Cook for 5 mins under the grill until browned. Serve with a salad, if you like.