- 15g (½ oz) unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150g (5½ oz) mixed mushrooms such as oyster, closed cup, open, chestnut finely sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 6 thick fillet steaks or chicken breasts
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 75ml (2½ fl oz) brandy
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) weak chicken stock
- 284ml tub double cream
* reduce quantities accordingly to serve less people
1. Melt the butter in a large heavy-based pan over a low heat. Add the sliced onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Increase the heat to high and stir in the crushed garlic and sliced mushrooms. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Remove from the pan and wipe pan clean with kitchen paper.
4. Return the pan to a high heat. Season the steaks or chicken, then oil them lightly. Pan fry until cooked, turning to ensure even cooking. Remove from pan and set aside.
5. Add the cooked mushrooms, brandy and stock to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the double cream and parsley then bring to the boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then spoon over the steaks to serve.