- 1tbsp olive oil
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 2 0nions, finely chopped
- 350g parsnips, cut into sticks
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 2tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2tbsp clear honey
- Few thyme sprigs
- Flat leaf parsley to serve, optional
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan or shallow casserole dish with a lid. Brown chicken until golden, then set aside. Heat remaining oil, then cook the onions for 5 minutes until softened.
- Nestle thighs back amongst the onions and add the parsnips. Mix the stock with mustard and honey, then pour in. Scatter over the thyme, then bring to simmer. Cover then cook for 30 minutes (or longer, see tip) until chicken is tender, then season.
- Serve with steamed greens.
Tip: If you’ve got time, this casserole will gently simmer away for 90 minutes. The meat will be very tender and fall away from the bones.