- 75g (3oz) butter
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) red cabbage, very finely sliced
- 300ml (½pt) port
- 4tbsp cranberry sauce
- 75g pack dried cranberries
- 2tbsp light muscovado sugar
1. Melt the butter in a large heavy-based pan, add the onions and cook gently for approximately 15 minutes or until very soft. Stir in the cabbage, port, cranberries, and sugar, plus 150ml (¼pt) water, salt and black pepper.
2. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes until all the liquid has disappeared. Check seasoning and serve.