- 2 cooking or eating apples
- 2 pears
- 400g (13oz) red plums quartered and pitted
- 2tbsp water
- 75g (3oz) caster sugar
- 100g (3 and half oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) unsalted butter, diced
- 50g (2oz) desiccated coconut (optional)
- 50g (2oz) chocolate chips (optional)
1. Core and peel the apples and pears, cut into quarters and then into slices. Add the slices to a 1.2 litre (2pint) pie dish.
2. Add the plums and the water and sprinkle with 25g (1oz) of the sugar.
3. Cover the dish with foil and bake in a preheated oven, 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4, for 10 minutes.
4. Put the remaining sugar in a bowl with the flour and butter, then rub the butter in with your fingers or electric mixer until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. (Stir in coconut and chocolate chips).
5. Remove the foil from the fruit and spoon the crumble over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and the fruit is tender
6. Serve warm with custard, ice cream or cream.